There is so much to explore in Colorado’s wine country! Whether you are visiting tasting rooms in the middle of Denver or sipping your way through the picturesque vineyards in the Western Slope, there is a unique Colorado Wine Experience waiting for you!
Fast Facts About Colorado Wine!
- There are over 150 wineries in Colorado
- There are over 1,000 planted acres of grapes in the state
- Colorado has over 300 days of sunshine every year! This high and dry elevation (4,000-7,000 feet!) creates a distinctive terroir (terrain) for our grapes
- Colorado has two AVAs – or American Viticulture Areas – the Grand Valley AVA, along the Colorado River between Palisade and Grand Junction and the West Elks AVA along the North Fork of the Gunnison River between Hotchkiss and Paonia.
- Over 85% of the grapes grown in Colorado are from the Western Slope
- Over 1,650 jobs are created from the Colorado wine industry!
- The first grapes were planted in Colorado in 1883 in the Western Slope
Our friends at Wine Folly have created some helpful tips on tasting and pairing wine, check out the links below!
The Colorado Wine Experience is maintained by the Colorado Association for Viticulture and Enology, the member-based non-profit organization behind the Colorado wine industry.